Reading Theories and Practice
Wen-Yun Lin, Ph. D.
Wen-Yun Lin, Ph. D.
- To gain knowledge of reading process, the reading curriculum and reading strategies.
- To become knowledgeable about the various programs and materials that are available for
- To build knowledge of a range of instructional strategies that support students reading and thinking across different content areas.
- To be able to apply these understanding to critique, design, assess and select appropriate instructional practices for students from different linguistic, cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Historical perspective of reading instruction
- Reading theories and their relations to reading instruction
- Reading theories and research
- Reading process
- Reading strategies
- Reading curriculum and instruction
- Reading in the content area
- Reading assessment
- Participation (30%)
- Reading reflection (40%)
- Project (30%)
- Samuels, S. Jay & Farstrup, Alan E. (2011). What Research Has to Say About Reading Instruction ( 4th Edition). International Literacy Association. Newark, DE.
- Weaver, Constance (2002). Reading Process and Practice (Edition 3). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Buehl, D. (2011). Developing Readers in Academic Disciplines. Newark, DE: International Literacyg Association.
- Daniels, Zemelman & Steineke (2007). Content-Area Writing: every Teachers’ Guide: Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Diamond Linda and Thorsnes. B. J. (2008) Assessing Reading Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition (2nd Edition).
- Harvey, S. & Houfbid, A. (2007). Strategies that Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement. Stenhouse Publishers: Portland, ME.
- Honing Bill and Diamond Linda (2012). Teaching Reading Sourcebook Updated (2nd Edition).
- Kamil, M. L., Pearson, P. D., Elizabeth Birr Moje, E. B., & Afflerbach, P (editors). (2010). Handbook of Reading Research, Volume IV (4th ed. Edition). Taylor & Francis publisher.
- Robinson Richard D. (2004). Readings in Reading Instruction: Its History, Theory, and Development. Pearson publisher
- Reading Research Quarterly. International Literacy Association. Newark, DE.
- The Reading Teacher. International Literacy Association Newark, DE.